What is a Course Structure?
Every Knowbly course has a structure which is the table of contents for the course. When viewing the course, the course structure can be minimized or displayed to be used for navigation.
The Course Structure is comprised of a Start Page, Modules, and Lesson, Activity, and Assessment pages.
- Start Page: This is the starting page for your course and is required for courses exported to an LMS. This page displays the name and course navigation for the learner.
- Modules: Modules can be used to group pages into sections. A module must contain at least one other page.
- Pages: There are three types of Page Types: Lesson Page, Activity Page, and Assessment Page.
This article will cover:
- Accessing the Course Structure
- Adding New Modules and Pages
- Page Types
- Requiring Course Structure
- Moving, Deleting, or Copying Pages or Modules
- Customizing the Course Structure Navigation
Accessing the Course Structure
In editing mode, click the Course Structure icon on the left side of the page.
The Structure panel displays which shows the course’s start page, any modules, and pages. You can click on any page to navigate to that location in the course. A yellow bullet will appear on the page that is currently open.
Open the Course Structure, click on the three-dot icon, and select Edit Structure.
You will now be able to edit the structure.
Adding New Modules and Pages
You can add new pages at the end, or between any two pages by hovering between two pages and clicking on the green plus sign.
Required Course Structure
You can require entire modules, Lessons, Activities, and Assessments for completion by selecting the checkbox next to them in the Course Structure Editor. Learn more about how this works.
When you are adding a page, you have the option of which type of page you would like to add.
- Lesson Page: A Lesson Page is a generic page in a course. Lessons typically contain content such as text blocks, image/video blocks, and Display widgets.
- Activity Page: An Activity page is a single page with a title, optional introduction, and a single widget block containing an Activity widget. Activities are interactive but do NOT provide an assessment score.
- Assessment Page: An Assessment page is a single page with a title, optional introduction, and a single widget block containing an Assessment widget. Assessments do provide an assessment score for the learner that is reported back for SCORM packages.
Moving, Deleting, or Copying Pages or Modules
Hover over the 6-dot handle on module or page to display the copy, delete, and move action icons.
- Click and hold the 6-dot handle to drag pages or modules into the desired order in the course structure.
- Use the copy icon to duplicate a page or module. Note that copying a module will copy both the module and any pages that are contained in the module. The selected page or module will be copied into the course structure with “COPY” added to the name. (You can then click on the pencil icon to rename.)
NOTE: When copying pages, any widgets on those page are NOT duplicated, but still pointing to the original widget. Make sure to replace any copied widgets with new widgets if you do not want to use the original widget content.
- Use the Delete icon to delete the module or page.
Note: Deletion of a module or page is permanent and cannot be undone.
Customizing the Course Structure Navigation
You can update the look and feel of your course structure and navigation using Knowbly's Theme Templates. Change the font, text color, progress bar color, and more in the Navigation tab of the Theme Template.
See also: Theme Templates