This article provides an overview of the course editing tools including
- Course Editing Basics
- Editing the Course Structure
- Editing a Lesson, Activity, or Assessment Page
- Collaboration and Locking
Course Editing Basics
When you open or create your course, you will be in editing mode on the first page.
- The editing toolbar runs across the top of your screen.
- In the left-hand panel, you will see the course outline or navigation.
- Click on the Start card in the course outline to see your title and cover art (if added).
- New courses begin with one place-holder lesson.
There are four basic concepts that are the foundation to authoring courses in Knowbly:
1. Course Structure and Page Types: Every Knowbly course has a structure which is the table of contents for the course. The Course Structure is comprised of a Start page, Modules, and Lesson, Activity, and Assessment pages. Learn more about Editing and Modifying a Course Structure.
2. Blocks: Each page in a course is composed of one or more "blocks" of content. These blocks can include rich-text, tables, media assets, formulas, file attachments, or interactive widgets. Learn more about Working with Course Blocks.
3. Themes: In addition to individual block settings, you can create a custom Theme that can be applied to any course to designate a default style for most elements. Themes control defaults such as font, text size, text color, background color, and navigation button style. Learn more about Themes.
4. Preview: At any time during editing or when you have finished, click Preview to see what a published version will look like.
- Choose the type of device on which you want to preview the content:
- Tablet, Portrait
- Tablet, Landscape
- Mobile, Portrait
- Mobile, Landscape
- Click Edit to return to editing mode.
Editing the Course Structure
When editing a course you can add the following page types. Choose the page type that works best for your content and how you want it to track completion if using an LMS.
- Lesson: Single open-format page where you can add any text, images, widgets
- Activity: Single page intended to contain one single activity (Annotated Video, Flashcards, Hotspot)
- Assessment: Single page intended to contain one single assessment
Select the Course Structure icon to display the structure of modules and lessons.
Learn more: Dive deeper into creating and managing your Course Structure.
Editing a Lesson, Activity, or Assessment Page
When you're ready to add content, select the page you wish to edit from the Course Structure.
To add content to a page, you will be assembling a series of blocks.
Hover your mouse over your editing screen to expose the green arrow. This is how you add new blocks of content.
From here you'll be able to add media, stock images, video, audio, file attachments and widgets.
Learn more: Continue this lesson by learning more about Working with Course Blocks.
Collaboration and Locking Notifications
Knowbly's tools facilitate collaboration by inviting team members to leave comments and contribute to online conversations about the content as part of the editing process. A locking mechanism with notifications is built in to prevent team members from being able to work in the same content at the same time.
Learn more: Collaboration and Locking Notifications