This article provides an overview of the course editing tools including:
When you open or create your course, you will be in editing mode on the first page.
- The editing toolbar runs across the top of your screen.
- In the left-hand panel, you will see the course outline or navigation.
- Click on the Start card in the course outline to see your title and cover art (if added).
- New courses begin with one place-holder lesson.
There are three basic concepts that are the foundation to authoring courses in knowbly:
1. Course Structure and Page Types: Every knowbly course has a structure which is the table of contents for the course. The Course Structure is comprised of a Start page, Modules, and Lesson, Activity, and Assessment pages. Learn more about Editing and Modifying a Course Structure.
2. Blocks: Each page in a course is composed of one or more "blocks" of content. These blocks can include rich-text, tables, media assets, formulas, file attachments, or interactive widgets. Learn more about Working with Course Blocks.
3. Themes: In addition to individual block settings, you can create a custom Theme that can be applied to any course to designate a default style for most elements. Themes control defaults such as font, text size, text color, background color, and navigation button style. Learn more about Themes.
Editing a Lesson
When editing a course you can add the following types:
- Activity: Single page where you can add a single activity (Annotated Video, Flashcards, Hotspot)
- Assessment: Single page where you can add a single assessment
1. Select the Course Structure icon to display the structure of modules and lessons.
2. Select the lesson you wish to edit.
3. To add content to your lesson, you will be assembling a series of blocks.
4. Edit the sample block or hover over any block to display the icon beneath it.
5. Click the icon to create a new block.
Adding Content Blocks to Your Lesson
1. First, select the type of column you want for this block:
One Column - Creates a single block that spans the width of the page.
Two Columns - Creates a block with two columns, equal in width.
Minor Major - Creates a block with two columns - one major and one minor.
2. Click the type of block you want to insert. This can be text, widget, image, video, audio, or table. For example, if you want a one-column text block, the selection would look like this:
3. Depending on the block chosen, enter text, insert a media asset, or add a widget.
Adding Media Assets to your Course
You can add media assets to blocks in your course by uploading, using the drag and drop method, by URL, by browsing for stock images, or by accessing media already loaded to the Content Manager.
Upload/Drag and Drop
Add by URL
To add a media asset (image, audio and video) by URL, add or copy the URL and the asset will be displayed on your screen. You may either add another URL or click Add to save your URL to knowbly™.
You can also add stock assets from www.unsplash.com.
Adding Widgets to your Course
1. Select Widget from Blocks.
Note: You can locate widgets by entering a file name in the Filter by: Widget search field.
Previewing Your Changes
At any time during editing or when you have finished, click the Preview button to see what a published version will look like.
Choose the type of device on which you want to preview the content.
You can choose:
- Tablet, Portrait
- Tablet, Landscape
- Mobile, Portrait
- Mobile, Landscape