The Flashcard widget is an Activity template for creating custom multimedia flashcards flashcard for memorization practice. There are configurable options for the learner: autoplay, shuffle, and reset.
To create a Flashcard widget (either from the Content Manager or directly into a block in a course you are editing) select Flashcard from the Add Widget window and click the Add button.
Follow the prompts to add content.
If you're not already, switch to Edit mode. If you're working in a course block, click the Edit Widget link.
You will see a series of layers similar to what is shown below. Each of these layers forms one of your flashcards.
- Use the arrows in the upper right to re-order the layers/flashcards.
- You can add images, audio, and video to either side of the flashcard.
- Select the image to see image resizing and other options.
At the top of the widget composer, enter the title and introductory text.
Open the settings panel to adjust the settings that are unique to the Hotspots widget.
- When the user flips a flashcard, you can choose to display both the term and the definition together, or just the counterpart to the term or definition
- If enabled, Auto Flip allows the user to set the flashcards to automatically flip between term and definition after a designated time delay.
At any time during editing or when you have finished, click Preview to see what a published version will look like.
Flashcard Features for the Learner
The Flashcard arrows toggle between the term and the definition.
Clicking Options provides the learner with a few options for how they like to study.
When the learner has mastered the content of the card, they can mark it off using the green checkmark. The counter in the lower-left corner keeps track of how many flashcards users have viewed and how many were answered correctly or they have "mastered."