You can add, store, and manage all of your media assets from within Knowbly's Content Manager. See below for information about supported asset types in each of the following categories.
Note: Individual file size limitation is 2GB max per file.
Knowbly supports image formats added through direct upload or URL. Image resolution size limitation is 100M px density.
- For direct upload: .JPG, .JPEG, .BMP, .PNG, .GIF, .TIF, .TIFF
- By URL link: .JPG, .JPEG, .BMP, .PNG, .GIF, .TIF, .TIFF (Linked assets must be available in a public directory.)
Note: All .JPG, .JPEG, .BMP, .TIF, and .TIFF files are converted to PNG. All .GIF images are not converted although they may be cropped or reduced. Animated gifs should preserve their animation regardless of where they are used.
Knowbly supports compressed audio formats, added through direct upload or streaming (by URL).
- For direct upload: .MP3, .OGG, .AAC.
- By URL link: .MP3, .OGG, .AAC (Linked assets must be available in a public directory.)
Knowbly supports video added through direct upload or hosted externally from a supported VOD provider.
- Supported: .MP4, .MPG, .M4V, .WEBM, .AVI, .MOV, .MPEG, .MPEF, .MPE, .MPV, .M4P
Note: Video stored within Knowbly is optimized on upload and retained as .MP4 (H.264 encoded). Uploaded video cannot be used in widgets where you wish to publish via an embed link.
Video Streaming Services (VOD)
Knowbly integrates with common video platforms for streaming services. The video platforms Knowbly supports are:
- Supported: YouTube, Vimeo, Kaltura, Wistia
- Not Supported: Links to videos hosted within common file storage applications that do not have a streaming service enabled, e.g. Dropbox, Box, Drive, iCloud, etc. While these may function correctly in Knowbly they may not be reliable or scale for production purposes.
Knowbly supports the following file types as attachments: DOC, DOCX, PDF, XLS, XLSX, PPT, PPTX, TXT, ODT
When searching, you can filter your file assets by type by selecting PDF, Documents, Presentations, or Spreadsheets.
Note: Microsoft Office non-XML formats are converted to open office XML standards on upload and any subsequent download. Specifically, DOC, XLS, and PPT will be converted to DOCX, XLSX, and PPTX at the initial upload.
We are always testing new file formats. If you have a file format you would like to be accepted by Knowbly and you don’t see it here, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org.