The Matching Widget is an Assessment template for creating a multimedia matching exercise where a definition must be matched to a term.
This widget can be used to present properly correlated pairs as learning content, and to assess the learner on their understanding of 1-to-1 correlations between matching pairs.
To create a Matching widget (either from the Content Manager or directly into a block in a course you are editing) select Matching from the Add Widget window and click the Add button.
Note: If you are starting from a lesson page, a sample widget is inserted into your lesson. (You can replace the sample content with your own, of course.)
If you're not already, switch to Edit mode. If you're working in a course block, click the Edit Widget link.
You will see a series of layers similar to what is shown below. Each of these layers forms a hotspot on top of the image. The Term will show up as on side of a matching pair and the Definition will show as the other side.
- Use the arrows in the upper right to re-order the layers/hotspots.
You can add images, audio, and video to your Matching Pair Definition field.
Open the settings panel to adjust the settings that are unique to the Matching widget.
- You can set to Start in Presentation View, which allows the learners to view and study the term and definition pairs before testing their knowledge.
- Set the number of Assessment Attempts.
- Set the Term Order fixed in an order you choose manually or have the order generated randomly
- The Solutions Button allows learners to review the correct term/definition pairs during the assessment.
- The Display Term Media option gives you the option of hiding or showing the term images/audio/video in the initial view. If hidden, they will display during the matching activity. Note on mobile, the term media is always hidden by default.
At any time during editing or when you have finished, click Preview to see what a published version will look like.