When you are ready to add your knowbly content to your LMS content, you have several actions available to you: Edit, Update, Preview, and Place. You can also create new widgets from within the Plugin.
- For non-editable assets like images, you can preview or place the image.
- For editable assets like widgets, you can edit and update in addition to previewing and placing the asset.
Read on to learn about each of these functions.
Choose the pencil icon to edit the asset.
The knowbly widget editor will open in a new tab. (You may need to login to knowbly on this new tab if you don’t currently have a knowbly session active.)
Note: When you are done making changes, you must place or update that widget to have the changes appear in your LMS.
The preview window will open a window to view the asset, to make sure you are working with the content you want.
Preview will always show you the last published version of the widget.
There may be work-in-progress changes for the widget in knowbly that is still not pushed to live (knowbly’s publishing process allows released widget to remain stable even while a user may be working on updates.) There are two ways to publish a widget so the latest changes will be seen:
- Use the Update function in the Plugin (see above). This will always publish the current, up-to-date version of the widget in knowbly. You can use Preview after Update to confirm you have the latest.
- Use the publishing function inside of knowbly. When your widget changes are complete, first click the publishing icon:
Select the Embed tab to complete the process and publish the widget. Just selecting the tab is sufficient to publish, you do not need to do anything with the embed code.
Once the widget is published via either of these methods, Preview will show you the latest published version of that widget inside the Plugin.
The Place button embeds the asset onto the current page in your LMS.
Depending on the asset type you have several options for sizing the asset on the page.
- Widgets: Adjust by pixel or percent width, ratio not locked.
- Images, Video, and Audio: Adjust by pixel or percent width, ratio locked.
- PDFs: Adjust pixel size, ratio locked.
- Other Attachments: Adjust file name.
The Update button will update a placed widget to the latest changes to the asset made either in the knowbly application or through the plugin.
- You do not need to publish the widget in knowbly, but you do need to trigger the update for a widget that has changed after placement.
- This will update any version of the widget you have previously placed in your LMS (including multiple copies or locations.)
- Update will also publish the latest version of the widget in knowbly - sending the latest update to any place the asset is embedded. You can always confirm the widget version after updating using Preview (see below.)
Note: After triggering an update, some LMSs do NOT update the page view until you refresh it. This means you still see the old version of the widget on the page even after updating. We recommend you save the page in the LMS first, then if the changes are still not showing up, then refresh the page.
Creating a New Widget
Choose New Widget from the navigation menu to see a list of all the available widget templates. Use the + button to add and begin editing the new widget.
Once you select the template, you will need to enter a name for your new widget.
After entering the name, the knowbly widget editor will open in a new tab. (You may need to log in to knowbly if you do not have an active session open).
Note: Creating and editing a new widget will not automatically place it in your LMS. When your new widget has been saved to knowbly, when you return to the LMS plugin the widget will be available as a new asset in the Content view and available to place or update. It will be saved to your knowbly Content Manager as well.